Get answers to your questions in our ”Team Headshots FAQ.” We’ll answer some of the most common questions related to team headshots, including topics such as attire, scheduling, location and more! We hope this information will provide you with a better understanding of what to expect during the headshot process, and make the experience a successful one for you and your team.
Where do the team headshots sessions take place?
For smaller teams(2-4 people at a time), we can provide team headshots for you in our far north Dallas home photography studio. This is a great option for small groups, partnerships, remote workers, and small teams of startups working from home. For medium to large sized businesses, it’s much easier for us to bring our portable headshot studio to them.
How long does it take?
It depends on what you are going for. Some companies want one clean look per person with no outfit changes and others want two or more looks per person. If you are looking for one quality, straight-forward headshot per person, you can expect that each team member will spend about 3-5 minutes in front of the camera. We can typically turn around 20 people per hour of shooting. If you want a slower pace and more looks, we can design a schedule that will fit your needs exactly.
What’s the best way to organize everyone?
How well the team headshot session goes relies heavily on how well organized everything is. Luckily we are efficiency experts when it comes to headshots! First, we have an online scheduling system that allows you to send a customized link to your team and let everyone pick their own time slot. This makes less work for you and helps us to be as organized as possible. Next, during the session, we have a selection station that allows each person to view and select their favorite image right there on-site. This is going to cut down tremendously on any work you might get stuck doing after the fact. Finally, we deliver you a customized online gallery with all of the selected, retouched headshots organized alphabetically, last name first.
What should everyone wear?
This is an interesting question because there are a few factors to consider. First, are you trying to align with any particular brand? Many of our clients give their employees a particular dress code and color palette to work from for team headshots. For example, business attire with navy blue as the main color. The style of dress is up to you, but the basic guidelines are this:
- All clothes should be clean and pressed. We do not remove wrinkles in retouching or offer reshoots if a team member doesn’t come prepared.
- Solid colors are better for headshots than busy patterns.
- Very bright colors can often distract from a great expression in a headshot.
- Consider your brand. Are you more polished and formal? Are you a more laid back tech startup? Do you sell fun jewelry? Dress and accessorize in a way that is consistent with your brand message.
- Encourage your team to wear clothes that they know they look and feel good in. Buying new clothes for the session can lead to uncertainty after the fact. It’s often best to wear those tried and true outfits.
What about hair and makeup?
We always recommend working with a professional hair and makeup artist. Depending on the volume of people being photographed, full hair and makeup isn’t always possible. For large team headshots, we can arrange for one to be there to offer a touch up for those who want to before they go on camera. It really does help everyone look their best. For smaller teams, we can help you connect with a hair and makeup artist who will arrive before of the shoot and get everyone looking great ahead of time. Here is our list of local professionals that we work with regularly:
If you elect to work without a hair and makeup artist, that’s no problem; here are some tips that you can follow to make sure that everyone is camera-ready.
- Stay away from any makeup with an SPF. These ingredients are designed to reflect certain kinds of light and can cause your skin to appear more shiny on camera instead of less.
- Go easy on the blush. This is the one area that stands out the most in photos and can be very difficult to correct in post-processing.
- Tell your team members to bring a portable makeup kit to the session in case they need to reapply before shooting.
- We have a shine reducing powder for those who don’t wear makeup that we can apply on-site.
Let us know what your needs are for hair and makeup and we will help you arrange the right service for you.
What if my company needs to match a certain look from previous headshots?
In most cases, if your company has a specific look for their website/brand-standard (background, cropping specifications, file size standard, etc.), we can easily match it. We just ask that you provide an example of what you need matched during the discovery process so we can deliver the final images with the look/file size that you need for a cohesive company look.
What else can my team do to be prepared?
The key to making sure that your team headshots go well is being prepared. We have put together some resources for your team as well as tips to make sure things go smoothly.
- If you plan to get your hair cut or colored, make sure to do it 3-5 days before your session. Please don’t do anything drastic or different with your hair right before the shoot. Hair regret is very real and is probably the number one reason that people can be unsatisfied with their images.
- Take care of your skin by drinking water, using a facial wash, and a lotion made for the unique skin of your face. It’s amazing the difference it can make in your complexion. We recommend getting a professional facial for those who really want to up their headshot game, but if you do, don’t do it the day before…about 3-5 days beforehand is ideal.
- Stay away from alcohol and do your best to get a couple of solid nights of sleep leading up to the session. Alcohol and lack of sleep can make your face puffy, give you red eyes, and cause under eye darkness to be exaggerated.
How long does it take to get the images delivered?
Please give us 2-4 business days to send your gallery. Then download and save the images to your computer. We also recommend saving them in a second location as a backup. If you need your images turned around faster than that, rush delivery is available. Images will be available in high and low resolution versions for your convenience. If you have specific dimensions, sizes, or other requirements, just let us know.
Ready to book your team headshots?
Contact us by completing the form on our Team Headshots Page! If our Team Headshots FAQ still leaves you with unanswered questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We are here to guide you through the process and help you get the best results for your team.