Get answers to your most pressing questions in our Headshot Session FAQ. Learn about the process, preparation, and tips for a successful headshot experience.
Where Does the Session Take Place?
Most of our individual headshot sessions take place in our home studio in Melissa, TX just north of 380 and US-75. The address is provided once you book your session. If you need us to work on-location for your session, you can upgrade to an on-location shoot for a small fee and we can collaborate on the perfect place to get the images you are looking for.
What are my options for purchasing images? Do you offer retouching?
Depending on what session you choose, it will include a set number of high-resolution, retouched images. We also have different options for you to choose from if you need to purchase any additional images, it all depends on what you need.
If you need a certain number of high-resolution images that are edited by hand to perfection, then this option is for you. We take every image and reduce blemishes, fix stray hairs, and other standard edits to make you look your best while still looking natural. If you plan to use these images to market yourself or your brand, then we highly recommend retouching.
You don’t have to make a purchasing decision ahead of time, we are going to work with you before and after your session to make sure that you get exactly what you need.
What happens if I need to reschedule or cancel?
We understand that life can get in the way. Built into our online scheduling system is the ability to change your appointment if you need to. All you have to do is call, text, or email to let us know in advance of the session and we can provide you a link to move your appointment. If, for some reason, you were unable to make your scheduled appointment or give us advanced notice, we are happy to reschedule your appointment at no additional charge for the first reschedule, and $75 each time after that to cover our administrative costs.
What about hair and makeup?
We highly recommend working with a professional hair and makeup artist. Although hair and makeup are not included in the session fee, we have several great artists that we can refer you to who specialize in camera-ready makeup. For men, we recommend a light foundation to help take out any shine. For women, we recommend professional makeup by an experienced artist, but here are a couple of tips if you plan on doing it yourself.
- Stay away from any makeup with an SPF. These ingredients are designed to reflect certain kinds of light and can cause your skin to appear more shiny on camera instead of less.
- Go easy on the blush. This is the one area that stands out the most in photos and can be very difficult to correct in post-processing.
- Bring your makeup to the session in case you need to reapply.
Our sessions are very often scheduled back to back so come with hair and makeup ready to go so you can get the most out of your session.
Who do you recommend for Hair and Makeup?
Here are a few artists that we work with regularly and highly recommend. You can contact them directly to set up your appointment and work out payment.
If you book hair and makeup with one of our recommended artists, it is possible for us to make our studio available ahead of time. This is all based on availability, so just let us know and if we can make it happen, we will.
What should I wear for my headshots?
You should bring plenty of options to the shoot. We will go over your choices beforehand but here are some pointers for you:
- Always bring clothes that match your style and personality.
- Stay away from clothes with busy patterns. Solid colors are best. No logos.
- Try to stay away from black and white. If you are a person who relies heavily on black, think about branching out to some colors that flatter your natural coloring.
- Any color is great for tops, but remember that very bright colors can draw away from your face. Pick something slightly more subdued.
- Bring an undershirt or camisole if you are shooting in multiple outfits. It saves time to be able to change tops quickly in the studio for more headshot looks. For men, wear an undershirt with a v-neck as it is less likely to show up in the photos.
- In a headshot session, your lower half will not likely make it into the photos. But make sure that whatever bottoms you have are clean, pressed and match your tops. You never know what we might be able to get out of your session. If you are wearing a suit, be sure to bring the pants.
- Undergarments. Make sure to include the right undergarments for the tops you bring. You might be disappointed if you bring that cute tank top or strapless dress but you forgot a strapless bra.
- Make sure any clothes that you bring are clean and neatly pressed. This goes double for collared shirts and suits. We do not remove wrinkles in Photoshop.
- If you want to bring jewelry, make sure that it matches. Gold earrings don’t always look great with a silver necklace, etc. Bring some options that you love but keep in mind that a headshot is about your face. For entertainment, unless you are shooting specific character shots, keep jewelry to a minimum. Simple studs or hoops and simple necklaces are fine, but nothing that will take away from your expression.
- Before you head out the door, make sure to grab a unique article of clothing or two. Do you have some cool fedoras? What about a really great leather jacket or a scarf you love? You never know what might come out of a shoot so grab that item and bring it with you. Do you play guitar? Golf? Do you kick-box or collect swords? Bring something that’s unique to you and we might just be able to fit it in to the session and create something really cool.
We are also more than happy to communicate with you about the clothes you are planning to bring. You can text us pictures of your ideas or we can collaborate on ideas with a Pinterest board.
What else should I do to prepare for my headshot session?
The key to making sure that your session goes well is being prepared. We have put together some resources for you as well as tips on how to make sure that you completely nail your session.
- If you plan to get your hair cut or colored, make sure to do it 3-5 days before your session. Please don’t do anything drastic or different with your hair right before the shoot. Hair regret is very real and is probably the number one reason that people can be unsatisfied with their images.
- Take care of your skin by drinking water, using a facial wash, and a non-spf lotion made for the unique skin of your face. It’s amazing the difference it can make in your complexion. We recommend getting a professional facial for those who really want to up their headshot game, but if you do, don’t do it the day before — about 3-5 days beforehand is ideal.
- Stay away from alcohol and do your best to get a couple of solid nights of sleep leading up to the session. Alcohol and lack of sleep can make your face puffy, give you red eyes, and cause under eye darkness to be exaggerated.
How long does it take to get my images back?
For most sessions, you will have the opportunity to see and select your favorite images immediately after shooting. This speeds things up quite a bit as it eliminates sorting through images in your online proofing gallery. You will already be confident that you love all the images. You will receive an email with a link to your online proofing gallery within 2-3 business days of your session.
Ready to book your headshot session?
A great headshot is a valuable investment for your personal or professional brand. By understanding what to expect and preparing ahead of time, you can ensure a successful and enjoyable experience. Now that you have all the information you need, it’s time to book your session! Visit our Headshot Page for convenient online booking. We are ready to help you create the perfect headshot!